- THE UMAMI WORKSHOP: LEARNING TO MAKE DASHI/KOJI W/ SONOKO SAKAI Saturday, March 29,3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Grange. $95 Tickets
Learn to make a complete meal with Sonoko Sakai, using two natural Japanese seasonings, dashi and shio-koji.
There will be a cooking demonstration of four dishes, using dashi and shio-koji. Dashi is the umami rich stock that is used to season Japanese soups and dishes. Koji is a rice mold that has been used in Japan to ferment sake and shoyu for hundreds of years.
Japanese menu will be created and served. Students will make their own batch of shio-koji to take home.
- SUNDAY SUPPER SERIES, Sunday, March 30, 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Grange. $75 Tickets
- Tentative Menu:
- Buckwheat Crackers with Salmon Tataki, Koji Tofu,
- Chicken Liver Mousse and Fruit Compote
- Carrot Surinagashi Soup with Herbs
- Koji Spareribs with Roasted Root Vegetable
- Soba Chirashi Salad with Spring Vegetables and Onsen Egg
- Koji Plum Blossom Ice Cream and Crispy Cookies
Sonoko Sakai is the founder of Common Grains, a project dedicated to providing a deeper understanding and appreciation for Japanese food and culture. For more information, visit: http://commongrains.com.
Mutsuko Soma was born and raised in Tochigi, Japan. She came to the Pacific Northwest to study the culinary arts at the Art Institute of Seattle. After spending years refining her skills at restaurants, Chef Soma moved back to Japan to learn the art of making traditional buckwheat Soba noodles to bring back something unique to the Northwest. http://miyabi45th.com
Vegetarian and dietary requests are available. Please contact email@example.com.
Healdsburg SHED is at 25 North St.