Updated 4pm Friday
A 88-year-old woman was found dead Thursday after her mobile home caught fire around 3pm.
Fire fighters responded to the Leisure Lake Mobile Home Park, located at 300 Stony Point Road, to find the unit engulfed in flames.
It took emergency personnel about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control and enter the home. Once inside firefighters found the body of the resident in a back bedroom.
The victim has been identified as Bety Ferry, according to the Press Democrat.
Fire Marshal Cary Fergus said the fire was likely caused by an electrical cord or some type of heating device, possibly a portable room heater.
Damage is valued under $50,000. It’s not known whether the home had working smoke detectors.
Units from Rancho Adobe and Cal-Fire assisted with the fire, while Lakeville, San Antonio, and Wilmar fire units covered other emergency calls within Petaluma.
Patch will update the story as we get more information.