Press release from the Petaluma Police Department:
The Petaluma Police Department has been awarded a $253,000 grant from
the California Office of Traffic Safety for a year-long program
aimed at preventing deaths and injuries on our roadways through special
enforcement and public awareness efforts.
The grant received by
Petaluma will aid in the city’s ongoing effort to improve traffic safety
and quality of life. The Petaluma Police Department will use the funding
as part of an on-going commitment to keep our roadways safe through both
enforcement and education.
The grant will assist in efforts to deal with traffic safety
problems and to reduce the number of persons killed and injured in
traffic collisions. While traffic deaths from all causes declined by
nearly 39 percent between 2006 and 2010 in California, they rose by 2.6
percent in 2011.
State and federal officials anticipate that figures
will show another rise for 2012. DUI deaths remain the largest sector,
at nearly 30 percent of traffic fatalities. Recent trends show
increases in two new categories – distracted driving and drug-impaired
Activities that the grant will fund include:
• Specialized DUI and drugged driving training such as Standardized
Field Sobriety Testing (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving
Enforcement (ARIDE), and Drug Recognition Evaluator (DRE).
• DUI Saturation Patrols
• Motorcycle safety enforcement
• Distracted driving enforcement
• Seat belt and child safety seat enforcement
• Speed, red light and stop sign enforcement
• Warrant service operations targeting multiple DUI offenders
• Compilation of DUI “Hot Sheets,” identifying worst-of-the-worst DUI offenders
• Court “sting” operations to cite individuals driving from court
after having their driver’s license suspended or revoked for drunk
• Stakeout operations to observe the “worst of the worst” repeat DUI
offender probationers with suspended or revoked driver licenses
Funding for this program is from the California Office of Traffic
Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.