Caltrans plans to open the new, diagonal northbound on-ramp at E. Washington Street at 5 a.m. Wednesday.
The work will require closing the current northbound on-ramp and off-ramp from 10 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday, Caltrans said in a press release. A single lane in each direction of E. Washington Street will also be closed from 8 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday.
The full press release follows:
Caltrans to Open New Northbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp at E. Washington Street Interchange
Petaluma, Sonoma County – Wednesday morning, September 25, at approximately 5 a.m., Caltrans will open the new diagonal on-ramp from westbound E. Washington Street to northbound U.S. 101. To complete this work, the northbound U.S. 101 E. Washington Street loop on-ramp and off-ramp will be closed Tuesday night, September 24, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. In addition, one lane will be closed in each direction on E. Washington Street Tuesday night,September 24, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Opening the new northbound on-ramp will require a change in driving patterns for motorists.
Changes to Westbound E. Washington Street
- Lanes will be restriped into a new configuration with two left lanes crossing over U.S. 101, one bike lane, and on the far right, a lane that leads to the northbound on-ramp.
- Motorists will no longer turn left at the intersection to reach the northbound loop on-ramp. Instead, motorists will merge right to use the northbound U.S. 101 on-ramp.
- When turning onto westbound E. Washington Street from N. McDowell Boulevard or S. McDowell Boulevard, motorists must merge right to enter the new northbound U.S. 101 on-ramp. The existing left turn pocket from westbound E. Washington Street to the northbound U.S. 101 on-ramp will be eliminated.
- The left turn pockets from east bound E. Washington Street to northbound N. McDowell Boulevard will be lengthened to increase storage capacity.
- Pedestrians will continue to use the sidewalk on the south side of E. Washington Street, as there is no sidewalk on the north side of E. Washington Street.
There will not be any change to travel on eastbound E. Washington Street to northbound U.S. 101. Drivers will continue to merge right and use the loop on-ramp to reach northbound U.S. 101.
While motorists adjust to the new lane configuration, please drive cautiously through the construction zone and leave a safe traveling distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you. Construction is expected to continue for several more months, so please “Slow for the Cone Zone.”
After the new northbound ramp is opened, Caltrans will work on reconfiguring the northbound off-ramp to E. Washington Street. Work will also continue on the south bound on-ramp. Ultimately, E. Washington Street will receive an asphalt concrete overlay and new striping from the northbound off ramp to McDowell Boulevard
For more information about the project, visit our website at http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4.
Follow us on Twitter: Caltrans District 4 @Sonoma101.
Sign up for the free Petaluma Patch newsletter | Like Petaluma Patch on Facebook | Follow @PetalumaPatch on Twitter | Blog for Petaluma Patch